9 July 12
Cancer survivor wins inaugural Orange Different Business competition to help people fight illness
Orange today announced that Lorna Perks of Lorna Lou Ltd has been selected as winner of the first Orange Different Business competition, following a live pitch this afternoon. Selling their innovative ideas about how to do business differently, three finalists presented to an esteemed judging panel at a central London venue, which included Trevor Baylis OBE, inventor of the wind-up radio, and John Illman, former chairman of the Medical Journalists Association.
Chosen for its potential to benefit people suffering from a wide range of illnesses, Lorna Lou Ltd battled against two other small businesses, ABeterno Ltd, a biotech company that has developed a revolutionary way to isolate cancer cells, and Guess2Give, a world first that makes raising money for UK charities more fun by introducing a sweepstake element for everyone who takes part. The finalists had been selected by public vote from a shortlist of 10 to enter the final stage of the competition. Lorna Parks will receive business advice from Kingston Smith, one of the UK's top 20 accountancy firms; communications support from Orange; expert marketing consultancy from Publicis Chemistry, legal advice from Lewis Silkin, a firm of solicitors specialising in corporate and commercial law, and mentoring from entrepreneurial guru, Mike Southon, who will also work with the two other finalists.
Lorna Perks, founder of Lorna Lou Ltd: “Winning the competition is such a huge opportunity for me and my business and I’m thrilled to have been selected by Orange as the winner of its Different Business competition. One of the most daunting things about starting out as a new company is not knowing who you can turn to if you need advice, and that’s what’s so great about this competition – it will not only give me the kit I need to succeed, but also the skills and knowledge.”
Spencer McHugh, Brand Director at Everything Everywhere, the company which runs Orange, said: “At Orange, it’s our aim to make business as easy as possible for our customers, and so by launching this competition, not only did we want to find Britain’s brightest business idea, but more importantly, we want to help it to grow into a successful company. We know that it takes more than just a cash to turn an idea into a business, and our team of experts is going to provide Lorna with the arsenal of marketing, legal and communications tools and skills they need to succeed.”
The judging panel also included Nigel Jones, Chairman & CEO Publicis Group UK; Maureen Penfold, Partner of Kingston Smith LLP; and Spencer McHugh, Brand Director at Everything Everywhere.
Notes to Editors:
The Orange Different Business competition was launched on 27th March, 2012 and nearly 150 small businesses and individuals submitted detailed business plans to enter the competition. Ten finalists were shortlisted by the judging panel, the ten finalists included:
* ABeterno Ltd is a biotech company that has developed a revolutionary way to isolate cancer cells
* Guess2Give is a world first that makes raising money for UK charities more fun by introducing a sweepstake element for everyone who takes part
* Lick me I'm delicious is an events company specialising in liquid nitrogen ice creams and frozen creations
* LornaLou Ltd has invented a Pillpod that helps seriously ill patients to take the medication correctly, safely and on time
* Mocean Europe Ltd creates organic surf apparel and board wax, as well as high-performance surf boards from recyclable foam with innovative impact resistant and eco friendly materials
* Montague Healthcare is a medical company that is pioneering Virtual Scanning, a diagnostic and therapeutic technology based on the light emitting properties of proteins
* Pit Stop Tyre Check have come up with unique portable equipment to offer motorists tyre inflation and safety services at supermarkets
* Profinda helps companies to make better use of their workforce's skills by digitising staff expertise and creating an internal matching system
* SeNd Technology Ltd has invented a monitoring device that lets people keep a discreet eye on the wellbeing of their elderly or vulnerable friends or family members
* Standby Solutions has come up with a novel way of reducing electrical consumption caused by household devices usually left on standby
This shortlist then faced a public vote after creating videos of their business idea and reasons for entering the competition - www.orange.co.uk/differentbusiness. The public vote decided the three favourites and they proceeded to the final event on 6th July.
About Orange UK
Orange is the key brand of the France Telecom Group, one of the world's leading telecommunications operators. With almost 131 million customers, the Orange brand now covers Internet, television and mobile services in the majority of countries where the Group operates.
In the UK, Orange provides high quality GSM coverage to 99% of the UK population, and 3G coverage to more than 93%. Orange and any other Orange product or service names included in this material are trade marks of Orange Brand Services Limited.
On July 1 2010, the company became part of Everything Everywhere, one company that runs two of Britain's most famous brands - Orange UK and T-Mobile UK - with plans to transform the industry by giving customers instant access to everything, everywhere, offering them the best value, best choice and best network coverage in the country. Everything Everywhere Limited is the UK’s biggest communications company, with a combined customer base of almost 28 million people and more than 720 retail stores across the country. Everything Everywhere Limited is registered at Hatfield Business Park, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9BW under the registered company number 02382161.
For more information please call the Orange Press Office 0870 3731500, or visit www.orange.co.uk/newsroom
Press release: Business
Follow us on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS feed and get the latest news delivered to your screen.
News, trends, debate and fun from within Orange and beyond.
YouTube, Facebook & Bebo. Campaigns, promotions and competitions.